Redeemer of the slaves
• REDEEMED • Fanny J. Crosby, 1820–1915 • Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; His love endures forever. Let the redeemed of the Lord say this— (Psalm 107:1, 2) • All my theology is reduced to this narrow compass—Christ Jesus came into this world to save sinners. • —Archibald Alexander • The word redeemed implies the idea of a slave standing on the trader’s auction block being offered to the highest bidder.
• The Red Sea passage, it seems to me, simply typifies the death of Christ as it conquered Satan judicially and released the sinner from the guilt and judgment of sin. It separated the children of Israel from Egypt and introduced them into a life of pilgrimage and trial, just as we are separated from the world and made pilgrims and strangers there.
• “Ye shall be scattered, every man to his own, and shall leave me alone.” • — John 16:32 • Few had fellowship with the sorrows of Gethsemane. The majority of the disciples were not sufficiently advanced in grace to be admitted to behold the mysteries of “the agony.” Occupied with the passover feast at their own houses, they represent the many who live upon the letter, but are mere babes as to the spirit ...
• Interest or identification? • I have been crucified with Christ. Gal. 2:20. • The imperative need spiritually is to sign the death-warrant of the disposition of sin, to turn all emotional impressions and intellectual beliefs into a moral verdict against the disposition of sin, viz., my claim to my right to myself. Paul says—“I have been crucified with Christ”; he does not say, ‘I have determined to imitate Jesus Christ,’ or, ‘I will endeavour to follow Him,’ …
• He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake • Ps. 23:3 • He always has a purpose in His leading. He knows where the bits of green pasture are, and He would lead His flock to these. The way may be rough, but it is the right way to the pasture. “Paths of righteousness” may not be straight paths; but they are paths that lead somewhere—to the right place.
This collection of scholarly essays tackles a number of questions based on Matthew’s gospel. In what sense does Matthew’s Gospel reflect the colonial situation in which the community found itself after the fall of Jerusalem and the subsequent humiliation of Jews across the Roman Empire? To what extent was Matthew seeking to oppose Rome’s claims to authority and sovereignty over the whole world, to set up alternative systems of power and society, to forge new senses of identity? If Matthew’s community felt itself to be living on the margins of society, where did it see the centre as lying? In Judaism or in Rome? And how did Matthew’s approach to such problems compare with that of Jews who were not followers of Jesus Christ and with that of others, Jews and Gentiles, who were followers?
- Study of Ruth, part 4... (nomads2.wordpress.com)
- The Father's Plan (pastorht.wordpress.com)
- Thank God for the Dominion and Sovereignty to which the Redeemer has been Exalted (revivalandreformation.wordpress.com)
- my notes for The Story, Chapter 6 (excerpts from Numbers and Deuteronomy) (schansblog.blogspot.com)
- Hosea redeem's his wife (traskman.wordpress.com)
- Galatians 4:7 (gracegalatians.wordpress.com)
- You're free (andrewejenkins.wordpress.com)
- Freedom. Things, titles, people, and positions don't set you free. Only Jesus sets free. (andrewejenkins.wordpress.com)
- Unique ways Jesus redeems us... things you may never thought of... (andrewejenkins.wordpress.com)
- St. Peter, Slave No More (truthandcharity.net)
- Day 22 - Redeemed (divinelydefined.wordpress.com)
- Forgiven and Redeemed (elderscorner.wordpress.com)
- Only ONE Way To Heaven (jellybeanyee.wordpress.com)
- We are all one in Christ Jesus (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Why I Am Certain That Christianity Is The Only Way (pastorpaulvbsblog.blogspot.com)
- The way of salvation according to Oneness Pentecostals REFUTED (listentothesoundofthesword.wordpress.com)
- Got Faith, Where Is It? part I (anointedplace.wordpress.com)
- Free from the Stronghold of Hate (ptl2010.com)
- Galatians 3:26,28,29, (gracegalatians.wordpress.com)
- Defending Christ's Existence (siriusknotts.wordpress.com)
Published: March 21, 2012, 09:29 | Comments Off on Redeemer of the slaves
Category: Daily Devotion